“The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.” – Thucydides
Collin College will honor the courage and service of America’s veterans with several events in November. The college’s Veterans Week activities will touch each college campus and will include a variety of opportunities for current and former military personnel.
As part of Veterans Week, Collin College invites you to attend a free showing of American Sniper, a 2014 film based on the story of Navy SEAL sniper Chris Kyle, who was the most lethal sniper in U.S. military history. Free pizza will be served.
– 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 11 at Preston Ridge Campus Conference Center
– 1 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 12 at Central Park Campus Conference Center
Free Donuts and Coffee
The PRC Honors Institute and Global Diplomatic Society are offering free donuts and coffee to thank those who served, beginning at 9 a.m. on Monday, Nov. 9 at the Preston Ridge Campus Room F135.
Free Red Bull and Snacks
The PRC Honors Institute and Global Diplomatic Society will offer free Red Bull energy drinks and snacks to thank those who served, beginning at 11:30 a.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 10 at Preston Ridge Campus Room F135.
Lunch and Learn Events
Bring a brown bag lunch and join Collin College faculty and staff as they discuss military-related topics. Both “Lunch and Learn” events will be held in Preston Ridge Campus Room J107.
– Traumatic Brain Injury and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder – How You Can Help. A panel discussion moderated by Ginny Topfer and Maria Rodriguez is planned for Monday, Nov. 9 at noon. The session is a discussion of the neurological effects of trauma.
– The Original Fly Girls of WWII: WASPS, will be presented by Dr. Jessica Parker. The presentation is about a group of young female pilots who were the first women in history trained to fly American military aircraft. The presentation is scheduled for 1 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 10.
Veterans Day BBQ Lunches
Fire up your patriotism at the Veterans Day BBQ at each of the college’s main campuses, Wednesday, Nov. 11. Each campus will have special speakers or presentations followed by free barbecue.
– Central Park Campus Conference Center, 11:30 a.m. – Retired USMC Lt. Col. Shawn M. Keefe will give a history of Veterans Day. That will be followed by USMC Staff Sgt. Lee Hamann speaking about the benefits of active military duty. Lunch follows.
– Preston Ridge Campus Conference Center, 11:30 a.m. – Professor Shawn Thomas , U.S. Army Special Forces, OEF and OIF Veteran, will share My Life With Samba: A Day in the Life of a Service Dog Team. Then Professor Amy Myrick will sing The National Anthem. Lunch follows.
– Spring Creek Campus Atrium, Noon – Collin College Vice President/Provost Dr. Mary McRae will offer an address and commemorative slideshow presentation followed by lunch.
All Services Military Appreciation Ball Enjoy dinner, dancing and more at Collin College’s All Services Military Appreciation Ball. There will be live music, refreshments and a guest speaker. Formal attire is required (military dress if appropriate, dark suits and formal gowns for all attendees.) The event takes place from 5:30 – 9:30 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 12 at the Spring Creek Campus Living Legends Conference Center.