Career Corner: Urban Sustainable Agriculture

Welcome to Career Corner, a regular feature in Cougar News which highlights workforce programs at Collin College. Today, we are taking a look at the Urban Sustainable Agriculture program.

According to Anne Thornton, director of the Agriculture program, Collin College’s Urban Sustainable Agriculture program is the only solely dedicated Urban Sustainable Agriculture program in North Texas.

“In this program you can learn everything from vertical farming to animal science and develop the skills you need to transfer to a university or get a job in this diverse field,” said Thornton, who lives on 20 acres of land and raises cattle, pigs, and chickens.

“Elements of urban sustainability and agriculture are all around you, though you may not know it,” she added. “From your neighbor’s vegetable garden to the prairie grass providing nutrients to the soil at the Wylie Campus, there is so much to learn and so many opportunities to bring the farm-to-table concept to life. We are offering virtual information sessions in December and January so students can find out more about this exciting new program which will be offered at the Wylie Campus this spring.”

Thornton said students in this program will learn from professors who are industry experts. The hands-on material includes hydroponics, production, sustainable practices that translate to large or small farm operations, beekeeping, animal husbandry, and much more.  

Careers in Urban Sustainable Agriculture

Farmers, Ranchers, and Other Agriculture Managers

Average Salary: $81,500

Job Growth: 14.8%

Buyers and Purchasing Agents, Farm Products

Average Salary: $83,400

Job Growth: 9.5%

Agricultural and Food Scientists

Average Salary: $75,700

Job Growth: 22.5%

First-Line Supervisors of Farming, Fishing, and Forestry Workers

Average Salary: $55,100

Job Growth: 16.1%

Data obtained from JobsEQ (Collin County), O*NET, and Workforce Solutions of North Central Texas. Job growth projected from 2020-2027. The earning potential for employees with certifications and Associate of Applied Science degrees may exceed the average salary.

Program
Urban Sustainable Agriculture Associate of Applied Science degree (60 credit hours)

Level 1 Certificates
Sustainable Agriculture
(16 credit hours)

Controlled Environment Agriculture
(17 credit hours)

If you have questions about the program, email Anne Thornton, director of the Agriculture program, at agstudies@collin.edu or Deidra Carpenter, workforce career coach, at dcarpenter@collin.edu. To RSVP for an upcoming information session, download the Urban Sustainable Agriculture information sheet, or for more information about the program, visit www.collin.edu/department/agriculture.

For more information about other workforce programs, check out the information sheets at www.collin.edu/academics/info/ or visit www.collin.edu/academics/AcadPrg_careerclusters.html.